Google Analytics

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Around the world yarns

After a bit of a hiatus I'm finally back from our round the world whistle-stop tour! Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand and California all in one month was pretty intense to say the least - but totally amazing! I think I'm still trying to digest all the impressions in my head.. But I won't bore you with the details. Instead, let me tell you about the lovely yarns I picked up along the way. You can't expect me to travel the world and *not* purchase any yarn surely?!

First stop was Wool Baa in Melbourne, as recommended by a friend who lives locally. After following her hand-drawn map, complete with tram instructions, I made it there safely.


Wool Baa had a mix of yarns including the usual Rowan and Debbie Bliss, but they also had some nice local produce. I ended up succumbing to two hanks of Pear Tree 6ply in 'Moss':


After picking up a fist full of brochures from the tourist office in Federation Square, my interest was piqued by a store called Onabee which *looked* as though it was not too far away...
Turns out that the map was rather misleading, and after a 1.5h walk I finally found the place - only to discover that it was right next to a train station. At least I got home again quickly.
It was worth the slog though, as Onabee housed a very cute collection of Oz only yarn as well as pretty Etsy-style jewellery and cross stitch kits.
In the end I plumped for a skein of super-local Lara Downs 4ply Fine Kid Mohair and some Ms Gusset (heehee) sock yarn.


Having arrived in New Zealand, I was hell bent on finding some possum yarn. Thankfully I didn't have to wait too long, as a (admittedly rather touristy) shop in Queenstown had the wares I was after: Touch Yarns Possum/Merino.


The final yarn stop was ArtFibres in San Francisco. Such a lovely shop/studio! I was initially rather overwhelmed at the sheer choice, but after some methodical investigation and groping, I managed to pick out two faves: Tantra (100% Tussah silk) and Carezza (30% Silk, 30% Alpaca, 40% Merino).


Anyone for roving?


Ah!


The nice lady even let me browse Ravelry in order to work out how much yardage I needed - now that's proper customer service!





No comments:

Post a Comment